Armoury_edited.png

Magazine

For relevant information , please click one of the buttons below

Introduction

From the mid 1950’s nuclear weapons and associated components were regularly transported from Aldermaston to Orford Ness for tests to be carried out. The early weapons were very large and would have been delivered directly to the test lab reception area. At the beginning of the 1960’s, weapons were becoming significantly smaller, and testing requirements more complex. The volume of test weapons and components being handled by Orford Ness was increasing steadily.

In order to accommodate the increasing workload AWRE embarked on a building programme known as Phase 2. As part of this programme a new secure nuclear weapon storage facility known as the Magazine was built in 1962.

Click Here for the full Magazine report

Magazine - Location

 

Drawings - click image to enlarge view  - for full size please contact IRGON

Magazine

Magazine

© Crown Copyright / AWE 2021 Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.

 

Photographs - click image to enlarge view - for full size please contact IRGON 

Magazine

Magazine

25 September 1982 © Crown Copyright / AWE 2021 Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.

 

Graphics - click image to enlarge  view

Magazine

Magazine

Section 2 - 2

Magazine

Magazine

Section 1 - 1

Magazine

Magazine

Isometric view with section planes

Magazine

Magazine

Section 3 - 3

Magazine

FlyBy